Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Farm Markets and food safety

This is a tough call and will probably post in both my blogs.
I love Farmer Markets - items from local farms are always my favorites.  The produce is usually fresher than any thing i can get in the store.  My preference is to shop for my vegetable and fruits at a farm market.
The new thing is to have other things at the markets and while i have no problem with bread and olives and soaps and other things of the like - poultry products and meats and dairy seem to be mishandled by these same people.
Like with everything, i always wash what i buy because transport is a problem no matter what.


The picture shows Quiche in a cooler - no ice, there was no thermometer and the sun was on it...
I do not want to get sick!
Not for me

2 comments:

Lori said...

I, too, love farmer's markets. On Saturdays the Amish come to town here and sell there wares. Homemade apple-butter, strawberry jam, bread, cakes and pies, fruits and veggies. I agree about buying any type of beef or poultry. I have worked in too many restaurants and had serve-safe courses to eat anything I have the slightest doubt about. Don't laugh but when I go out to eat at someplace that I am not familiar with, I don't order anything that contains a lot of mayonnaise. I worry that maybe it isn't being kept at the proper temperature or the inserts aren't clean. It's a strange habit of mine. Happy Shopping!

Stamford Talk said...

Thanks for the heads up!