Saturday, January 28, 2012

Comfort food

not having enjoyed my work week, last night i went to one of my favorite comfort foods,
Linguini with clam sauce. it helped.

Linguini/spaghetti with clam sauce

 One of my favorite - got to have it meals

 3 cans baby clams - chopped, minced and whole and all of the liquid
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 can anchovies (minus the couple i eat as they come out of the can)
Olive oil to cover the bottom of the pot
1/4 cup dry oregano (I use what i dried from my garden, but any dry oregano is good)
2 tablespoon parsley (dry is okay, but fresh is best)
1/4 cup olives and preserving liquid
2 cups wine
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup scallions, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound pasta of your choice
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
 

The garlic, oregano and anchovies is added to the olive oil and sautéed
The clams with broth is added with 1 tablespoon parsley
this is brought to a simmer and then the crushed red pepper, olives with liquid and wine is added and brought to a simmer.
This must be reduced by 1/2 volume before cooking the pasta, but keep it at a simmer
cook the pasta according to the direction and reduce the time by 2 minutes
add 1/2 cup scallions and the parmesan cheese to the clam mixture and mix well
taste and add salt to your taste
drain the pasta and add it to the clam broth
let the pasta soak in the clams juice for the 2 minutes and turn off the heat

This is where me and my house differ.
I would serve it now and have the pasta be beautiful and al dente
They would have me leave the pasta till soft (it actually tastes even better this way because all the juice is soaked up)

serve with the remainder of the parsley and scallions on top

add additional cheese if desired

4 comments:

Lori said...

WM- You just made my mouth water. It is hard to go out and find a decent linguini with clam sauce. I shall give this recipe a try. Comfort food is so....comforting,lol. We all need a little comfort in this world. Be well and be happy!!!

Carrie Van Horn said...

It does sound wonderful....gotta love comfort food!!! :-)

betchai said...

sounds yummy Joey, would want to try this one too.

about- "1 can anchovies (minus the couple i eat as they come out of the can)" - i do the same thing oftentimes too :)

Ileana said...

One of my favorites! You make it much more fancy, which I imagine tastes better...and I'm with you, al dente all the way! I can't stomach soft pasta.