Saturday, January 21, 2012

its cold, i think soup

This is how i deal
today:

Potato Leek Soup
(its a thick one)
1 bunch leeks - cut into 1/2 inch pieces, cleaned and soak in cold water over night
5 potatoes, diced into 1/4 pieces (I do not peel them)
2 sticks butter
2 cups wine
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons course ground black pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1/4 cup smoked meat (ham, bacon, turkey, whatever you have around)
2 cups broth of any kind
1 cup milk
1 cup half and half
1 cup of potato flakes (instant potatoes)

melt the butter and just brown the potatoes
add the leeks, seasonings and meat and mix well
add the wine and 2 cups broth
bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for a minimum of 1 hour
Add milk and half and half and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes (the longer, the better).
Add enough potato flakes to just thicken (many times less than a cup) and serve.

Note:  I have awaken my need for soke, it has not gone away

5 comments:

Lou said...

I don't even know what a leek looks like! One of my semi retirement goals is to learn to make a decent soup. This recipe would be a great place to start. Enjoy!

betchai said...

it is not as cold here than over there, but I am thinking also of soup :)

Ileana said...

I'm making a pot of chicken soup as I read my favorite blogs. Enjoy your yummy soup. I'll have to try making it sometime. My kids love potatoes!

Salitype said...

That soup must be really yummy !

My favorite is chicken noodle soup !

Shionge said...

You know right about this lunar new year period we get really good fragrant leeks from China and you have inspired me to try this soup.

However, I don't seem to come across potatoe flakes so it is ok to just dice them?

I am feeling so hungry already :D