Sunday, March 11, 2012

yes i go there

For myself and the people i cook for, during the lenten season i like to do special things without meat on Wednesdays and fish on Fridays.
It is as much of a disipline as a spiritual statement and i think of those who can not have a protien and a regular basis.
But i do make it taste good and here is one recipie.:

Lenten lentil soup


1 bag of dry lentils
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoon fresh minced hot pepper
6 cloves garlic
3/4 onion sliced
1/4 onion minced
1 cup sliced sweet peppers
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup orange
8 bay leaves
10 black peppercorns
5 whole allspice berries
1 beer (Dos Equis)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup bag fresh carrots
10 black peppercorns
5 whole allspice berries
1/4 cup rice
1 stick butter

clean (to remove stones and unwanted debris) and then soak lentils with cold water 3 inches above lentils
soak over night
boil 1 cup of water and soak bay leaves, peppercorns and allspice berries with 1/2 tablespoon salt over night
add lentils and strained bay leaf water to crock pot set on low
discard bay leaf mixture, but add fresh peppercorns and allspice to the lentils
Add sliced onions, butter,1 tablespoon hot peppers, sweet peppers, garlic, salt, orange juice and zest, celery and onions.
Add enough liquid to cover the lentils 1 inch.
cook covered for 6 + hours and then add 1 beer
cook an additional 2 hours and add rice if the soup is not thick enough.
serve 30 minutes after adding rice topped with minced peppers and onions
a dollop of yogurt or sour cream is also an option.

7 comments:

Carole said...

Looks nice, I haven't really cooked with lentils. I must give it a go. Thanks for the idea.

Lori said...

I must admit, soup is not one of my strongest suits regarding cooking, but I have a great palate and can appreciate and enjoy a great soup. When can I come over for dinner, lol? Be well, sorry I have been naughty about keeping up with my fellow bloggers but the real world keeps butting in. xo

Anonymous said...

Good vegetarian meal! I've never heard of thickening soup with rice..but I like it!

Shionge said...

You know..it is raining here for the past few days that I wish I could have a go at your lovely soup :D

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

I love lentils but have not found many found many great recipes for them. This looks wonderful thanks for sharing :)

betchai said...

i love lentil soup but actually have not tried making one.

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh this looks like a great recipe for lentil soup. I like this kind of food even without thinking about self discipline, I'd rather have it than a roast dinner.
I never thought of putting orange zest in it.