Sunday, May 20, 2012

reflections on a Sunday morning

One post at another blog cause a great deal of reflection:
they asked what was my most profound spiritual experience.
The reality is that i have had many and each has changed my life significantly.
The first is simple:  remembering being baptised when i was three years old.
Yes as a Greek Orthodox, it is normal to baptise still younger, yet my parents waited and a remember it and verified it as an adult because it was done in Norfolk, VA, not Houston, Texas.
The last was this crazy operation - which put things into perspective and brought me to a place of not being afraid of death.
Others were a conversion experience when i was in college,
meeting the people who would bring me up to Connecticut as part of a religious order - lay, but similar to a non-denominational monastery, part of the episcopal church,
and of course many others - tempering me and refining me along the way.
Yes, i go church regularly, but not always, mostly because i am part of a small community of people who are together much more often than once a week.
I will go to which ever church is near me, without a great regard to denomination, for i have attended a Buddhist service, Catholic, Greek orthodox (of course), a Jewish synagogue and many, many in between, but i particularly like a very old Episcopal Church in downtown Stamford.
There is obviously more still to my journey, since i am still here.

1 comment:

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

I admire your openess to embrace and experience other religions and forms of worship. Wish that more people would realize that it is not so much about our differences as it is about the fact we are children of the same source on a similar journey back home. "A church no walls, one God ... one people." That's my hope for this world. Peace & Love to you, my friend.