Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sergio De Jesus



I will take another break from my 'normal' postings (is any thing I write normal?) to honor an AIDS outreach worker who yesterday had a bench in one of the city parks dedicated to him. He died last year after a long struggle with many health problems, but he was perhaps the most courageous man i ever knew. He came to work faithfully through this long struggle and actually cheered me and many other up. I think we thought we had lost him as many as 5 times before he finally left us. He was creative and persistent in his outreach work to those who were most vulnerable to contracting the HIV virus. He brought many people in for counseling and testing and maybe helped prevent some of the spread of this disease. The dedication was attended by coworkers, family and the people he helped.

2 comments:

JT said...

the mill river park owns that parcel now I think. Is that going to be a another fight down the line?

JT said...

sounds like a good guy and looks like a nice dedication to him by his friends.