Monday, June 9, 2008

So what do I do When not at work?

Sometimes I cause trouble - I know most of the regs and rules for this town, tho I am not in the enforcement end, sometimes when people try to get away with things it just gets me. It was this way last Saturday night in downtown Stamford. God knows there were enough people on the street to keep 2 more clubs full, I was harassing the club that is close to my heart, Twenty, to make sure they keep their numbers legal. They changed some entry regs - guys have to be over 25 and the dress code is stricter - no boots, no T's, no hoods, backward baseball caps etc..then I look across the street at Black Bear. Now I have no problem per se with Black Bear - I have eaten there a few times and to me, it was a simple hamburger joint, but I don't like the crowd. Anyway off the point, I look and see them taking all the tables and chairs out and placing them outside the perimeter of their allowed space, so more people could cram in.
I kinda think things were getting dangerous.

I did report the issue to Zoning, Fire marshalls, Health and DSSD.
I had one response from DSSD

From: John Ruotolo
[mailto:operations@stamford-downtown.com]

Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 10:05 AM
To: Kuntz, Joseph

Subject: FW: 11:30 Saturday Evening Black Bear Saloon

Mr. Kuntz,
Thank you for your e-mail regarding over extended sidewalk cafes. We try our best to help monitor the cafes but rely heavily on citizen input to know when there is a problem. You cc'd all of the correct people on your e-mail. I'll keep an eye on the process but I'm sure you'll see a change soon.
Please feel free to call if you have any questions.
Regards,

Well any thoughts?
Saturday after the rain at black bear

2 comments:

JT said...

I have no idea why the Black Bear is so popular. The food sucks and as a bar, its always too crowded.

Unknown said...

I have to be fair Saturday night when we had that terrible storm, Black Bear still had moved its tables, but it wasn't to cram more people in, there weren't that many. I guess its their MO, thumbing their noses at DSSD and zoning.