Thursday, January 8, 2009

First results for the next steps...

Okay, I had my first next step, an endoscopy, today. Not all the results are known, a few biopsies to wait for, but the first bit of info is clear - the esophagus muscles are not doing what they are suppose to do and so I must allow gravity to be the biggest influence when I want to swallow food. There was a little irritation (redness) in the stomach and esophagus, but it was not a real concern. The bad news is that there are no drugs or exercises that can help it get going. This is of course different than the mouth and tongue issues that I initially that exercise help me get past. I have heard the word before and I will again, it means that 'time' is the only answer so I will have to go with this.

2 comments:

Kevin McKeever said...

Tuck in your chin to your chest when you swallow. That's what they wanted Thing 1 to do when her throat muscles were weak from the JM. It forces everything down.

Unknown said...

Uncool, what you suggested worked for the first set of swallowing problems in the throat, which were resolved by exercise and such. This is lower down in the esophagus entry to the stomach and things kind of hang and it seems that gravity is the only way to get things moving right. I have not given up and will be trying your suggestion anyway, along with the doctors and anything else. I get the real feeling that this is still part of the healing process because this was not occurring right after the surgery, like the throat issues. The important part is that things do not block my airway as long as I know my limits. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I think I would hate to be a kid with this problem.