Monday, June 29, 2009

A history of Painting - painting till the break

I have records of only a few of my works and some are very poor photos by here it is.

I painted a bit in High School and College, but nothing really happened till I came out here.
The very first painting I did up here in Stamford was of a historic congregational church up on Old Long Ridge Rd. This was made into a Christmas card (And that is all I have of it).

Then I was on a roll. I have misplaced a number of sketch books which I did while working in West Virginia and down in the south end at St Luke's Chapel.
This is what I have from West Virginia done on site while analyzing flue gases from a coke (coal) processing plant.



A friend asked me to do a number of houses, some were okay, some not so okay.
His first house in Houston, The Valverde House:

A Historic House in Houston called the Commonwealth house:

His Home in Stamford

This one was passed around and I got work out of it...a lot of work.
The funny thing is as I became busy painting and joined the Stamford Art Association, I found out other painters simply disliked what i did, I did not make a record of many of those and sold most of them.
I started doing some work at an eclectic "collectibles" shop and when it was slow, I would paint. The atmosphere and feel of the shop inspired me and I produced some of my best work.
I am putting to much but I will post the ones I liked on the next installment.
They include scenes from Colorado (where my parents lived) and Virginia (where I would go an vacation with my older friend)

Then it was gone. i knew it. Everything i did looked like a child's work and even struggling against it, did not help. I tried various motivational things including doing a painting to give as a gift to a pretty girl, but 2 attempts produced this:


At this point I gave up and stopped painting because to produce this garbage took me 2 weeks and i was uninsired.

2 comments:

Libby said...

big differences! you're right, i WAS done by two different people, wasn't it??

Anonymous said...

damn, that really is a big change....i cant imagine what that feels like....hmmm...i am sorry that this has happened, that really is a big loss for you.
However, i truly believe there is a reason for EVERYTHING, no matter how cruel or unnecessary it seems at the time. I really do believe that everything has a time, place and space and eventually if we keep our eyes and hearts open we will see why this has occurred.
If you are craving an art fix how about trying abstract art and painting the emotions...if u need a link let me know, there is a fantastic online course that you could do, i did it to help me paint from the soul, to express emotion MINUS the technical side of painting...and I was so impressed with the results, it brought out a whole new side of me.,,,just a thought :)
xxsm