Sunday, December 6, 2009

My heart stopped beating for just a moment, but now I am back.

The strangeness of the past week appears to be past, I looked on the calender and it was a year ago today that they put me under and shut off the pump which was removing the Cerebral spinal fluid and i woke up knowing who i was with both my heart and mind aware, together.
I still do not recall last Christmas, but i remember the one before and I remember last New Years.
I suppose there was so much trauma, that some memory will be skipped.
I knew i was unable to cook Thanksgiving dinner last year and so made up for it this year.
Christmas, I made a few wedding cookies, but they were not that good.
This year I have my plan and am going Greek!
I remember making baklava and other wonderful things with my mother growing up, and so this year i will be making some of my own twists on the traditional.
Baklava, with pecans and mincemeat?
Tiropitta (cheese in filo) with some different syrups, almond, orange and plain.
Maybe Spanakopitta.
Kourambietes and kouloria.
Some candied citrus peels.
Those I will give as gifts and have around the house also.
I go Italian (somewhat) on Christmas eve with fish and probably a pork loin for christmas.
I think i am getting excited!

8 comments:

Grant said...

Let me know when you plan to go Japanese and I'll have some recipes for you.

Gail said...

HI JOEY-
SO god to hear you planning - :-) and remembering what you can. It is all so miraculous. And I just had spannakopita form this great little Greek restaurant near me - it was yummy.

Love to you
Gail
peace.....

Unknown said...

Japanese food seems a bit intense, but I am willing to go for it in January when I will want something much lighter than the fare i have on my current menu!

Lou said...

Sounds like a lot of work! Thank goodness there is a great Greek bakery by my house..LOL

Ileana said...

I'm so glad to hear how life has completely turned around for you this year!

Your current menu sounds tempting. If only I lived closer. :)

Barry said...

You're making me hungry already Whitemist.

We are going to my daughter's home for Christmas this year and she and my wife were just discussing the menu yesterday.

My role is to eat. And I'm very good at it.

Jeannette StG said...

Joey,
looking at your menu, I think I'm going to visit you for Christmas. Greek food is my favorite! Whenever I see baklava in a store, I'll buy it!!
Doesn't it feel good to do this year, what you were not able to do last year?

Unknown said...

I love baklava.