Monday, March 1, 2010

progression of a painting

This is probably the best evidence I can present on the effects the tumor had on me.

First a series of photographs of a "daffodil" farm in 2005.

















Now my attempt to paint this, when I knew my ability to paint was gone, but I was still trying.
again this is 2005.
A year later, i tried again for a close friend who requested a painting of it after i described it, still a no go in my eyes.

Now I challenged my self, 3 failed attempts, what would it turn out like now?

Any thoughts?

It was more difficult than i thought it would be, demanding attention to detail.  That attention was what made my painting (as far as watercolor goes) different.
One odd thing, although i have a large collection of brushes, i find my self using only 2 or three favorite ones...

10 comments:

Gail said...

HI JOEY-

I would not attach the word 'fail' to any of your paintings. I especially love the last one, the hues and shadows are lovely. I feel like I am looking out of a window. Amazing.

Love you man
Gail
peace.....

Al said...

You painted that? Omigosh you're very talented then! There are only few people who are gifted with this talent and I think you're one of them. The painting is awesome. Congratulations and show more!

AL

Lou said...

It's like a progression of healing!! That is so cool..

The last one is beautiful. Think Spring!

Jeannette StG said...

You did well, Joey - I wouldn't change anything about it! The brick wall is a nice lead-in! This must have been very hard with your eye problem! I commend you for your tenacity:)

Ileana said...

That last painting is my favorite...the color of the flowers, the light and shadows on the field and trees...all beautifully done.

Unknown said...

Nice work!

Lori said...

You have many talents. Painting is def one of them. I see progress and hope in your work. They are beautiful. When I used to paint, I, too, had tons of brushes, but stuck with my favorite three. You kind of make me yearn for the days when I would sit outside and paint.. I always used acrylics. They weren't as good as yours, but they made me feel better. That and doing collages..Art can be very healing.

Tes said...

Beautiful painting, Joey. You do pay attention to details. I can feel the sun in that last painting. Lovely!

JTG (Misalyn) said...

Great painting, Joey and nice series of captures. Who said that you're not good in photography. You have the talent Joey, same as your talent with painting. Keep them coming!

Unknown said...

There was one more that was done before the first two that i forgot to post, to me it was awful! As you can see, I am not a quitter, I kept trying and finally gave up until after the operation. Despite the vision problems, I thought the last came out alright!
One thing I will remember is that there are many artists who have had vision problems who are well know today. Form Connecticut, I can think of Georgia O'Keefe, who was basically blind in the last part of her life, but kept on painting!