Sunday, April 4, 2010

It has NEVER been "Why me?"

Not when they found the large tumor.
Not when they said it must come out.
Not when i heard them say "He's not breathing people!"
Not when I woke with double vision that has stayed this long time.
Not when my brain went concave and I lost cognition.
Not when i came out of it and realized what had happened.
I have questioned "How long?"
Only to go through another learning process and find something truly valuable on the other side.
The troubles and difficulties have always resulted in some learning and I no longer know when, but i do know it will end.
This is mt adventure!
What did i learn this time?
I am still learning it, but i finally understand that compassion is not looking from afar and feeling for the person, that is actually arogant pity.
It is feeling what they feel, no matter what words they use or tone it comes out in.
It is understanding the heart of the person suffering, and just being with them.
This was an intense lesson and it is not over.

3 comments:

Eng said...

a touching and heartfelt post. i hope lots of people shares the same sentiment as you, the world will be a better and happier place.

its not what happened rather what comes out of what happened that determines a man's character.

eng

Gail said...

HI JOEY-

Oh you are SO right - it is far from over - all you will learn about yourself and others as well as you move along your journey. I often ask "why me" and not to feel sorry for myself or victim but rather to ask what is it I am suppose to do with this insight and wisdom gained form this illness - how can I be a resource or support to others that are afraid. I 'hear' the same wonder from you and it is glorious.

Love you man
Gail
peace.....

Grant said...

You should at least ask "Why not someone who deserves it, like Rush Limbaugh?".