Sunday, June 27, 2010

Reflections

My life did not change in the hospital.
My life did not change when the surgeon said, "He's not breathing people!".
My life did not change in the operating room.
My life did not change when the doctor looked at the MRI and said, "This has to come out"!
My life changed when my primary doctor said, "There is something going on and we have to take a closer look."
That is when the fear and the doubt and the confusion began.
that chased my old life away to make room for something better.
ow, i believe in a God who is active in our lives, but it is in a way that i do not always have to understand.
And i do not believe that this life is it,
but before that moment, i am not sure that i was at that place.
My own arrogance and need to control and manipulate things was lost.
I was no longer in control.
I could no longer manipulate things, or words or events.
You lose arrogance when that happens, so i went for an adventure.
i found the things that were most important to me.
The community that i was part of, closed ranks around me, like any good family would, and supported me.
They still support me today, in all my struggles.
And as i look back, i would change none of this.
As difficult and frustrating as it has been, not one thing.
i "see" different now, not with my eyes, but with my heart.
I see things the way i read, in large groups
and there are colors of red, and orange and yellow,
becoming waves that try to sweep people up in the anger and confusion and the "tyranny of the urgent", that is red and orange and yellow.
i see some people seeking the quiet of the blue and the green
and in the tumult for the reds and oranges, it is a constant struggle.
I no longer hear the words, or the actions, but the motivations.
There are the whirlwinds,
the ones who are trapped by the demands of the red and orange and yellow,
spinning out of control by the demands of the other.
i seek what is important now, the blue and the green,
my family
and the bonds that are stronger than those bright waves of destruction.
And i look for others who bind together in the same way.
i do not look at the action or the words,
but the motivation.
You might be surprised if you saw that as clearly as i.

7 comments:

Gail said...

HI

I know your heart for it is so like mine. I loved this post and I love that I "get" this post. :-)

My life changed too, when the optometrist said "when there is optic nerve issues we always have to look further for the cause....." he called me all weekend to "check on me". I knew my life would soon, never be the same. ANd for as harsh and frightening as my reality was becoming the opportunities and lessons and surrender to the plan was in many ways life-giving as much as it all was life-changing. I SO applaud your wisdom and spirit, heart and sol as you surrender and live your truth. I am humbled in your shadow.

Love you man
Gail
peace and hope.....

Woman in a Window said...

You lose arrogance when that happens, so i went for an adventure.

I understand this, Joey.

I love how you see now, Joey. It surprises me that people don't all see this way. I wonder if it is a choice for them, or if perhaps they simply don't know how to see what is real? They are too distracted with the reds and oranges.

I too am blue/green. Motivation and intention. Perhaps they are related.

xo
erin

Grant said...

Looks like something really struck you.

Brenda's Arizona said...

Interesting to see your transition and where your arrogance left off. This is good writing!

alexis nicole said...

Your words breath wisdom. I am going to think on this for a while.

Ileana said...

You are blessed to see beyond actions and words and I love how you turned something bad into a positive thing. You are always such an inspiration. I don't know if you get tired of hearing that from me, but I can't get tired of telling you.

Lori said...

That was beautiful. To no longer be in control is very scary to many of us. So glad you have come to the other side with new vision and peace. Glad I stopped by...