Monday, October 22, 2012

Green Tomatoes

As you know from my last post, i went cleaning up my garden this week
and found some wonderful surprises!
Things that were wonderful,
but not such a surprise,
were a large quantity of Green tomatoes.
While raised in the South of the US,
I never really liked the typical "Fried Green Tomatoes",
that was the usual end to such things,
sooooo....2 recipes for dealing with them.


GREEN TOMATO Cornbread

5 large Green tomatoes
2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix (you thought i was going to do everything from scratch?)
1 tablespoon salt
2 Onions, slivered

Clean and then boil the tomatoes till just soft with salt
Drain and remove tomato skins (if loose) and quarter
Follow directions on Jiffy cornbread package.
Mix tomatoes into the batter and pour into a greased pan.
Bake and enjoy!


GREEN TOMATO SALSA

1 Quart Green tomatoes
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon salt
2 Chipolte peppers, diced
1 cup Green onions, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Clean and then boil the tomatoes till just soft with salt
Drain and blend tomatoes, discarding skins where possible
add all other ingredients and simmer to reduce the volume about 1/2.
Chill and serve with what ever you want.
I have been using this with Enchiladas of various fillings to the delight of all.

A final bit, because the dreams of "what comes after this life" are still coming fast a furious and if there be any truth to them, I'll be cooking with my spiritual family at many feasts!

4 comments:

Ileana said...

Green Tomato cornbread sounds amazing! I bet my kids who don't necessarily like tomatoes may enjoy this recipe. I know my husband will.

PS - I like that I don't have to make anything from scratch...although if I had time, I'd do lots more from scratch. For now, the mix will suit me just fine! :)

Shionge said...

I'll try the second recipe hehehehe :)

Shionge said...

Hiya Joey, it is hot and sunny all year round with more rain towards the end of the year here in Singapore.

Yes, we don't see many green tomatoes and the one we usually consumed is from Malaysia. Some grocery stores do bring in some from Holland and America and they are triple the price :)

betchai said...

hmmm, i haven'tr trued green tomato corn bread, maybe I should try that one too :)