Thursday, April 2, 2009

Reflections

It has almost been 8 months since I started on my adventure, but really it has been a bit more because it started when I found out about the Tumor in July. Actually July 3rd. I know I had no idea what I was headed into. At that time I was actually too afraid of dying from the thing and actually kind of froze in my mind and heart. It was just before the operation that I loosened up and was not longer petrified. It is a good thing because what the operation was like was not fun at all. I still barely talked about it before the operation and definitely not on this blog. I remember having to sign something which said I agreed to the procedure and the procedure could result in my death. I remember waking up after they sewed me up, but before I should have with the doctor saying in a very loud voice "He's NOT breathing people!" Then I faded to unconsciousness, woke up gagging with plastic tubes in my mouth and I pulled them all out (That is Why the swallowing problem!). The poor Nurse practitioner trying to convince me not to cough while the anesthesiologist drugged me one more rime. I woke and it was late, 6 PM, I had gone in at 7 in the morning. My body hurt, my head did not, there was no feeling back there at all. I was taken to ICU which I remember only vaguely.
This of course is why it has taken so long. It took me until a few months ago to view the Cat scan they made of the tumor, it was large, 2 or 3 inches across, but it is no more. It no long threatens my life. It is gone!

2 comments:

Kevin McKeever said...

And that is the best news.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your recovery.

What would have scared me was the doctor using the word "people".
As in "he is not breathing people".
IMO, that's almost less reassuring than a doctor using the word "dude".