Thursday, May 21, 2009

Last night!

Lat night I did that lentil dish that i talked about a bit ago.
I think my Indian friend would have been proud.
Everyone loved it.
Started with Olive Oil, Garlic and onions. Got thing cooking and added in no particular order
Coriander, cumin, paprika, Turmeric, dry red pepper, ginger and let it get pasty.
I do not know how much of each except the onions at 2 medium ones cubed. The garlic was about a tablespoon and there were equal amount of cumin, coriander and Turmeric. Only about a tea spoon of ginger. Then salted and added lentils I soaked over night and brought things to a simmer again. Diced 2 medium tomatoes (but I think I would have liked more). Finally covered everything with about an inch of water and brought to a boil, turned down to a simmer.
At the same time i was cooking a cumin seed jasmine rice. Olive oil again, heat with a teaspoon or so of cumin seeds. Add a cup or so of rice. Stir till everything is hot and add water to about 2 inches over the rice. bring to a boil and cover and turn down the heat to low.
Served with some chopped cilantro on top.
My meat eating crew was very happy...again.
With all my background, you would think i would be more exacting in my measurements, but a lot of everything i do when i cook is based on color, smell, texture and taste (when i can). In someways it is an escape for the rigors of chemistry, but even with chemistry I know what are the limiting reagents in any particular test or reaction and so can vary things if I want (see it pay to know too much).
One of the strange things with my adventure is that when I look in the distance with my glasses and when I take them off, I am not able to discern detail well.
I brings my paying attention to too many specific things to an enjoyment of the general "feel" of things. (Grant will probably comment on this).
I think it has made my life better.

4 comments:

Libby said...

wow...it's neat to read about someone that loves to cook, since, even before i had ms, i hated it! but i know a lot of people find it relaxing, even.

Unknown said...

I find that it focuses me, even when I am upset about something. Usually it starts before I shop for the week with a hazy idea and I get my special ingredients. The night of it kind of gels and I finalize it as I am cooking. now this method has made some very spectacular flops, so that we all had to order pizza that night, but other times it comes out very good. So good that some times my housemates want to put me on Iron chief America so I can out flay Bobby Flay!

Grant said...

My illnesses and never ending recovery have brought me no insights on life except that being sick really sucks. I want last year back.

Unknown said...

Bunnylord. are you sure? has not your appreciation of Bunnies increased?