Thursday, July 16, 2009

Finding my limits

I said no to a number of people today.
I was not doing it because I was overwhelmed, I was doing it so I would not be overwhelmed.
I started last night, this "no" saying. It helps.
I was tired when I came home at 1:30 PM, but I was Not overwhelmed.
I have been pushing myself since the surgery in August 2008, I have not stopped.
Today I stopped, waved a white flag for myself and know that is is for my own good that I do so.
I also said yes to a break, the 15 minute one that I am supposed to get, but sometimes do not.
I actually took care of me. I rejected a third set of samples from Darien (accepted 2 new ones because they might tell me and them something important), I said no to a meeting a 8:30 Am and scheduled it for Monday morning. I did not stop my coworker when she started talking about nothing in particular, but that was a good thing, because i might have started to make the media I need for more testing and that would have been a bit much. I was told several times how good I am looking (mostly to wrangle me to do something), I said no anyway.
I think I have found my boundaries, what i can and can not do and how far I can go. I stopped pushing for a while and that was god.

3 comments:

listen for azure said...

This sounds so familiar. I spent too much of my first 40 years doing what everyone else wanted and always feeling like maybe some day it would be my turn.

I'm glad you found that your turn is now!

Grant said...

Just for fun, you should get a job as a waiter or something and then throw a screaming fit and quit the instant somebody tells you to do something.

Jeannette StG said...

Yes, take care of yourself, because no one is going to do that for you! And if you have to say "no" to do that, then that is what you need to do!
go for it, Joey!