Monday, August 24, 2009

I took a holiday

Rather my brain decided it would be MIA and relax all day Sunday. That happened despite the fact that I went in for some work at the Lab (overtime), but the rest of the day I walked, I rested, I walked, walked to the Dairy Queen and had Ice Cream.
It was wonderful!
I had to bring it back so I could cook dinner and because I was still dealing with the need for something with a Mexican taste (not true Mexican, cause I am from Texas, maybe border Mexican), that is where I went.
First a salsa - finely chopped ripe tomatoes, onions, cilantro and some of my peppers (I grow my own, I have a jalapeno plant that I have over wintered 3 years and the peppers it produces takes away any pain I might have). blend it with some salt and lime to taste.
Then I went after a cilantro sauce - cilantro, my jalapenos, onions, chili powder and some sweet pepper slices. Blend them with a bit of Olive oil (you can use what ever oil floats your boat). Add salt to taste (I was using sea salt today, so I use less than normal salt).
Then the rice - yellow rice with - you guessed it, cilantro, and chicken stock .
The main course - Some Cod (not Mexican, but it is what I had) cooked in some oil with butter and chili powder and a bit of lime on top of the stove.
Plating - important!
one corn tortilla (warmed and I should have used 2) - cilantro sauce on top, place cod on top of that. Salsa on one side, rice on the other.
I have no picture, we ate it too fast!
I think my mind came back, but it wants to go one another vacation - next Sunday!

I forgot! I got a cupcake award from "This Side of Town". Just what I needed! A cupcake to finish the day!

12 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation day! Yes, take one next Sunday!

Gail said...

your meal sounded so delicious. and if that's what you do when your brain goes on vacation? then vacation often!! :-)

love Gail
peace.....

Lou said...

As my mother-in-law used to say "scrumpdilicious".

Annie Coe said...

What a great day. I did a bit of that relaxing thing myself the last two day :-). Congrats on the cupcake.

Barry said...

This could get to be a habit. You start taking vacations every Sunday, you feel better, more relaxed, salsa ingredient stocks begin to rise, confidence returns to the American economy, the recession ends.

Hey, could happen!

Enemy of the Republic said...

I did the same today. It was lovely. Back to the grindstone tomorrow.

betchai said...

whew, sounds so delicious, great to know you make such good mexican dish. and topped with a cupcake. hope you had a good rest.

listen for azure said...

That is just making me hungry. I've been craving good, authentic tex-mex and now I must have it. Black beans, extra guac (homemade) and some corn tortillas, homemade. Can you join me, Whitemist, for a feast?

Unknown said...

PG - I will be right over
To all the rest - I think Next Sunday will be similar!

Unknown said...

Barry - who knows? Anything is possible!

Scott W said...

I love me some good Tex-Mex, but I cannot abide the taste of cilantro. I don't know anyone who is in the middle about it, either you love it or you hate it. To me it tastes like cologne.

I love that cupcake photo.

Unknown said...

The cilantro thing is genetic, to some people it taste like soap or the way you described it. To the others, it is a wonderful spice - I think It is a high percentage that can not abide the taste.
The problem with the food at the restaurant was it had NO taste, not even chili powder.