Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tell my Story

I had the opportunity to tell the story of all that has happened to me in the past year twice to people who i had not seen in a while.
Despite all the trouble and the difficulty and the frustration, when i tell it, there is great joy in recounting the number of times that I could have died and operating room voices and finally the little bit that is left, the double vision and I am always able to joke about it. One was cooking chicken, so I said, "if I take my glasses off, there is twice as much!" To another, I simply said, "there are great advantages to seeing two image of a beautiful person (for me it is a female)."
As difficult as it is in getting around, there are things I can be glad of.
One person asked if this had ruined all my plans.
I said simply, no, it may have accelerated them.
That it has lasted as long as it has, maybe my way out that I have been preparing for for a long time.
When I started working, I did not have many goals, just to do what I could, but thing evolve and slowly goals began to evolve and clarity began.
There were so many things I accomplished by just stumbling in on them.
When my goals became clear, there was one I never thought I would make and that was to work with the CDC. That did happen during the first year of the West Nile Outbreak and I was satisfied.
My other goals were more personal.
When I lost my ability to paint, I wanted that back.
Some how this trip I have been on has awakened it and I paint despite double vision and hurting eyes.
I was looking forward to retiring at 58 and moving to Virginia (I have a place and loads of people I know).
I might be able to do that sooner all because the double vision is still with me.
When I look at it that way, I can deal.
There are amazing things that can open up when I am still enough to listen and watch.

6 comments:

Lou said...

What a beautiful post. I love reading the thoughts of someone who has had meaning in life revealed to them through a hardship. They are the most grateful of people.

Gail said...

Hi there-

Great share!! You are quite amazing in how you perceive your life - I am in awe of how much you have survived and how you are adjusting AND have hope and excitement for your future. Alleluia!!!

Love Gail
peace.....

listen for azure said...

Then, Joey, here's to being still. May I join you?

cherie said...

i sleep when my children sleep, but i wake up in the very early morning, to blog or do other stuff. that's because the house is still, and i can hear myself think. we all need to commune with god and ourselves that way, i think, in order for our creativity to really come out.

Jeannette StG said...

Wow, what an attitude - am grateful for people like you around my blog!!

Mark said...

Love your attitude.
Love your attitude.

No your glasses are not broke, ha. Just a little double vision joke.

All that happens is with a purpose, in your stillness you will come to love the purpose.