Sunday, October 4, 2009

A failed experiment

Just finished working 4 hours today, yesterday I worked four hours, tomorrow I work again, but Tuesday and Wednesday...I am off.
It was not so bad today, but I asked John to cook tonight, I have be way too tired. The work gives my eye a lot of strain. I do not know how it did not do what it has been doing, but it was not bad.
I know i was a bit aggravated over a piece in our local newspaper on this Scofieldtown thing.
Seems residents think that the trace amounts of chloroform and other trichlorocarbon speices are going to kill them.
Funny, those are by products of chlorine disinfection and the water company water has much more than the trace amounts found in the wells.
The proable source of the chlorinated compounds? Using bleach in the laundy and for cleaning. Anyway...

The day is beautiful, crisp and clear after all that rain yesterday and not cold, just cool.
I really did not want to go into work, but it is finished.

Oh, the experiment that failed?
That was at home.
I wanted to extract the color and menthol out of my mint and had some vodka downstairs (nasty stuff, I do not know where it came from, but I do not drink it) and so I used it. It seemed to work, the chlorophyll was coming out, the mint flavor came out. I wanted to eliminate the alcohol...
Oops, that meant I eliminated the menthol also, the main flavor i wanted.
What did I get?
Green colored, chlorophyll (think grass) tasting water.
Okay, back to the lab for some intelligence next time and maybe a new brain.
Better yet, maybe a bit of rest would stop some of this. So I will try again Wednesday.

10 comments:

Gail said...

Hi Jory-
so what were you hoping for from the experiment? I cannot even imagine what or better yet, why?? :-) And what did John cook? I so love your food stories.

Have a peaceful night
Love Gail

Unknown said...

If I had done things right, I would have proceeded to make a fine mint jelly, but alas, that will wait for another day.
John is a plain man, meat and potatoes. though his mashed potatoes ( that he made tonight) are to die for.
He is very traditional. peeling the potatoes, using a pressure cooker, copious amount of butter and sour cream and a bit of salt.
He cooked hambugers on the grill (it was that nice out and I refused to cook while I work so much).

betchai said...

hmm, i wonder what is your experiment for? yes, it is quite ironic sometimes people jump into conclusions and get scared with some chemically strange name to them :)

cherie said...

hmmm, so you work at home, too?~~~this post made me happy, though i hope you don't strain your eyes too much.

Grant said...

Work bad. I'm now heading into week four without a weekend of rest. Apparently I'm well enough to survive it.

Barry said...

My culinary skills stop somewhere around pouring milk on cereal.

Although I can fry an egg and am learning to poach one.

Glad you enjoyed your meal.

ExtraO said...

That's quite an experiment!

(Do you have an email address?)

Unknown said...

your experiment sounds much like the barley grass I drink for my stomach issues.

Unknown said...

My greatest love is to experiment in the kitchen - that started in my early years, after i knew I wanted to be a chemist, but was still learning.
Tastes ad flavors and looks can be wonderful and they are not so precise as at work and much more fun!

listen for azure said...

I am so excited that you like to experiment with food and drink. That's awesome!

I love the new picture at the top of the page. This is the most beautiful time of year. People talk about everything dying, but I feel like the world is about to renew itself. Just like you, and I.