Friday, November 27, 2009

And my Experiment?

I mean my Thanksgiving meal - Very delicious, but I could have used more than the single pound of pumpkin butter.
For the first time, the turkey breast was not dry at all and all the flavors came through.
I did something I had heard about and since I had parsley from my garden this winter (first winter in CT -ever having my own parsley), I chopped it p and put it between the skin and the bird with the pumpkin butter and some salt and maple syrup. It all worked.
The stuffing was left out of the bird, with only a few thing put in there for flavor - apples onions, pumpkin butter and fennel.
The fennel worked well with everything (because it is very mild compared to celery)and there was not a strong liquorish flavor.
Corn pudding came out well also,
Carrots, like wise.
There was one sad thing, I had gotten over the flu (yes the H1N1, remember?), but a secondary infection started and so I am on antibiotics mow. The flu was the least of my worries, I have know that I am not so recovered that my system is at its peak and this was just opportunistic.
We caught it early since both my doctor and I had been on the look out for it.
I will be fine, but more days of rest and that is not all bad.

8 comments:

Salitype said...

oh! so sorry to hear about your flu...hope you get better really soon!

i think i will try your recipe, not tried fennel before, i am a celery fan...i'll give fennel a try!

thanks!

Jeannette StG said...

Is't it great when the food turns out like you want it too? Maybe you should have been a chef, Joey (just joking)...
Hope you'll get over this infection soon too!

Woman in a Window said...

You are killing me with the food! Fish sticks and curly fries tonight, although I did manage some frozen beans from my garden.

Do you feel terribly sorry for me? Obviously I do. (Just kiddin'. It's all good.) Hope you're feeling better soon.

Do you a dishwasher, at least, so that you didn't have to do all that clean-up after such an intensive cook?

xo
erin

Ileana said...

Funny, I just got pumpkin butter as a gift from The Cracker Barrel...but I'm sure it won't compare to YOUR pumpkin butter! I still haven't made it but I plan to.

As for your corn pudding, that sounds delicious as well (and I've never tried such a thing!). You have my curiosity up.

Hope you get the rest you need and are feeling better again soon!! I'm on antibiotics as well for an upper respiratory infection. Not fun...but I'm starting to feel better.

Barry said...

Sad about the flu but great about the dinner! My wife loves the idea of pumpkin butter.

Unknown said...

One of the best parts of living as I do is that we tend to share the load.
While I may come up with the concepts and execution of the dishes, John was my Sue (sp?) chief and he and David cleaned up mightily.
And since we trotted the food next door, there was little "after dinner clean-up" except for putting the food away.
Between the 2 houses, we served 21 people and there was left over.
I suspect the pumpkin butter you got was similar to apple butter, and would not be the same. I was infusing the flavor of the pumpkin flavors (and spices) into butter and that is what made it special. I did not do a great deal of "sweet" this year."

Susan English Mason said...

I admire people who can cook. Stove top stuffing and frozen pies is about all I can manage.

Grant said...

I did a lot of cooking this weekend, but none of it involved turkey or stuffing. I stuck with Japanese recipes.