Friday, November 20, 2009

More thoughts on the Turkey cooking

Well a beautiful Day in CT and the week that was is over. I think i caused trouble today and it was busy most of the week, but it is over and now i have a weekend.
I have decide where I am going with my Thanksgiving tastes and it looks like we have a number of people over, so I can not cook too much, cause others will bring things as well.
I am going to center things around my own creation, pumpkin butter.
During grilling season, I used a "mint" butter for corn, which was a wonderful twist and so Pumpkin butter is a good variation.
The stuffing, partially cooked and hot before it goes into the bird (that is a health secret!) will be composed of celery, onion, salt and a sage seasoning (bell's) as the "savory" components. It will have cranberries, apples, orange zest and walnuts as a fruit and nut portion. Egg, toasted bread (croutons of an unknown type cause I still am thinking about it) and pumpkin butter will hold it together. Savory, sweet, fruity and nutty and those flavors do blend together.
The pumpkin butter?
Butter and pumpkin melted and blended together with at least nutmeg and a touch of brown sugar, then strained. I could add allspice, ginger and cinnamon (making it pumpkin pie spice) but I may hold off on those others because I do not know if I want all that flavor.
The turkey will have a sage and butter rub between the skin and the meat and the pumpkin butter on top (or visa versa, depending if I want the meat savory or sweet).
My mind and taste buds are getting excited.
I cook cranberry sauce tonight and prepare the pumpkin butter!

9 comments:

Libby said...

oh, joey, you just painted a delicious picture with your words!!

Grant said...

Cranberry sauce isn't good unless it's in the shape of a can.

Jeannette StG said...

Wow, you already start cooking for Thursday? I admire you dedication to make an excellent meal -send some my way, please:)

Unknown said...

Jennette - I start early do I do not get wiped out by 2 on Turkey day. Certain things I can pre-make. Other things I have to buy if I am going to do something special. The Pumpkin butter is an experiment which worked well by the way) and the cranberry sauce is delicious with all the flavors I wanted (t is a interpretation of a friends mother, who has passed on, cranberry/orange relish).
Grant, you do not know what you are missing!
Thank you Libby - the smells are awesome also!

Lou said...

I will pass the pumpkin butter idea along to my husband..he does the cooking;)

Ileana said...

After reading this post, my taste buds are totally excited!! That pumpkin butter sounds delicious. I may try it.

Gail said...

HI JOEY-

I can see and smell and taste it - I love how you are deciding what to put where and how much if at all of certain spices. The process is delicious. Tuesday is stuffing day here. It will smell divine and taste decadent.

Love to you
Gail
peace.....

Barry said...

Tell your guests to move over and set out another couple of chairs, Joey, were on our way too!

Woman in a Window said...

This, I believe, is the one thing that you Americans hold the highest over our lowly Candian heads. You have Thanksgiving at the right time. We celebrate in October and it's barely a stay inside and puff into the hands to stay warm time. And the days are still too long. I like it when everyone is gathered around the table and night reflects off the windows, multiplying family, bringing everyone that much closer. So, you enjoy your mouth watering concoctions and fill your mouth, your belly and your soul with all things good.

xo
erin