Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Thinking Thanksgiving

As some one who really enjoys cooking, I have started to think how i want to do the feast this year.
I do not think I will have anyone over except the 3 guys I live with, but that is okay, I will take whatever I can. if others show up, there will be food.
One of the things I really enjoy is the blending of flavors, fruit, nut and meat and I have not decided how I will proceed.
There will be turkey,stuffing and always cranberries (that I make), but I do not know how I will put it together.
Cranberries I like to make with orange flavors with it. Will I add walnuts? Maybe, I have not decided.
The Turkey, will I go traditional, Bell;s seasoning, or try something else?
The stuffing is always a truly fun thing - always celery and some form of bread, but then do I go with sausage and walnuts and raisins with a sage type spice? Or something else, I am undecided.
I have already decided to do one thing I have not done before - corn pudding.
Will I do a yam dish? Unknown.
Salad? Probably.
I have some young fresh fennel in the garden, which I will use, along with flat leaf parsley they will be used.

I know I will send some things over to a friend, who remains at best "gun shy" (having been mistreated and taken advantage of), she will not come over and that is okay.

Will anyone else come over? Anyone in the area? You will be welcomed.

Dessert will be bought, I am not a baker and we have a fabulous bakery down the street.

Last year Thanksgiving, I do not remember except that I could not cook and was some how instructing John on what to do. It was very Traditional in flavor and composition and I was not able to eat much of it.
This year is different.

6 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

I know the feeling - it's very satisfying to be able to do the things you used to do!!I'm thankful for the tremendous progress you made this year:)

Unknown said...

Glad to hear it Joey!
I don't think I have ever had corn pudding.

Also, please email me. Your email address listed on Blogger does not work.
Thanks

Lou said...

I can hear the care and warmth that will go into your meal. I really think a lovingly prepared meal does more than feed the stomach. It nourishes people in many ways.

Gail said...

HI JOEY-

"Thanksgiving" is my most favorite holiday of all. My stuffing recipe is time tested, honored and folks call ahead to be sure there will be a container set aside for them. :-)
I write "why I am thankful for you letters" to everyone who sits at our table that day. Some years, when my girl invited an "odd-duck" it would be a challenge, but I always managed. phew.

This year, my son is hosting the meal at his place in Brooklyn. I am still making my famous stuffing. It will be very different for me to not be doing all the fusing - and he is writing the letters too!
Have a wonderful day
Love Gail
peace.....

Lori said...

If I lived nearby and didn't have to work I would be there with bells on. I make some mean deviled eggs. I will be waiting on all the people who don't have friends like you. So you shall be in my thoughts this coming Thursday. I hope your feast goes well and I know it shall.

Grant said...

I have Japanese food planned.