Saturday, January 30, 2010

cooking inspiration

This is a lite post compared to what has been coming out lately...
I find my self inspired to do certain kinds or flavors of dishes by some typical inspirations;
restaurants, foods i have eaten at friends homes, even cooking shows, but then there are some really odd places i get inspiration.  An example is a meal of sausage, garlic, hot peppers and wine described in a science fiction book!
The other night I was watching the one show i know i am addicted to, "Bones" and they mentioned mac and cheese.
It hit me and I had to do a special one for dinner.
Joe's Mac & Cheese
2 pounds large tubular pasta - I used rigatoni
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1&1/2 stick butter
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup green chives
1 tablespoon freshly ground mixed pepper corns
1 tablespoon freshly ground alspice
1 tablespoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon tarragon
1# shredded mozzarella cheese
3 cups milk
1 cup white wine
2 eggs
salt to taste

While you cook the pasta, you make the bechamel sauce which is a white sauce of milk, butter and flour.
Melt the butter and an equal portion of flour.  Do NOT brown, but when blended add milk and stir (for those who can not eat wheat, cornstarch works, but must be added to a hot mixture of milk and butter).
I added the mushroom to half the butter, then the wine and did the flour and the rest of the butter RUE separate and added it into that mixture.
After adding the milk and getting it hot, I added the spices.
Drain the pasta and put in a large baking pan.
Mix most of the cheese and chives (or scallion tops) with the pasta,
Beat the two eggs and add them to the white sauce and then pour over the pasta.
Tap with the remainder more cheese and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.
Serve hot.
This will feed 8 hearty appetites.

And this is what "Bones" did to me!

5 comments:

krista said...

the egg...i've never thought about adding egg.
i'm totally making mac and cheese this weekend.

Ileana said...

This sounds fantastic, especialy the part where you add the mushrooms and the wine. It's not your everday mac & cheese, that's for sure!

PS - I think I'll start watching "Bones!" :)

Grant said...

Sounds good - mail me a helping.

Jeannette StG said...

Sounds delicious! And I love the series Bones too!

betchai said...

sounds yummy, you're such a good and inspired cook, can i be a guest?