Tuesday, February 2, 2010

fascinating

I had dozens of names for this post, fascinating, the way things work, confusions, Clarity? Catch 22, the egg or the chicken and the chicken or the egg and many, many more.
I just finished visiting the social security office to under stand how Social security disability works.
The story is like this; in order to apply for my works disability retirement, I should get social security disability first.  In order to get social security disability, I need to not work.  if I do not work, not only will I not have medical insurance, but i will no longer be eligible for disability retirement because I will no longer be working.  it will take 6 months for social security disability to kick in, which means i will not have an income for those 6 months.  i seemed to be trapped. 
On the other hand, Working 26 hours a week and taking the rest in my own sick and vacation time, has my vacation time actually increase each month and i get all my medical insurance coverage, which is very good.
No one seems to complain,except my boss gets aggravated, I think.  So if I continue this track, I can retire from the city in 2 and 1/2 years with a decent pension and in 7 1/2 years retire through socail security and get a enough to live on.
I am not sure if it makes sence, but that is what i seem to put together.

3 comments:

krista said...

i like the silver lining inherent in finding dealing with government programs 'fascinating.'
i'm totally going to adopt this thinking from now on.
i'll even use it at the dmv and the post office during the holidays.

Grant said...

Doctors and politicians both recommend that you keep working for as long as possible, and then drop dead before you can claim any benefits.

Unknown said...

Kristina, view like "fascinating" are indispensable when dealing with bureaucracies.
Grant - I know what you deal with generally, you are an expert!