Monday, July 26, 2010

steps

One step in front of the other.
That is as it is, as it will be forever.
Down the street,
Down the steep slope,
across the bridge and the "river".
One step in front of the other,
down to work.
At work,
one thing at a time,
the same as one step in front of anther.
Not a different pace or action,
but how it is.
Going home,
cross the bridge,
cross the river,
one step at a time,
one foot in front of the other.
Slowly now, up that steep hill,
one step at a time.
vision blurred, body tired.
going home,
one step at a time.
Each step seems a formidable task,
when taken as a whole,
but one step,
i can manage.
One at a time,
one foot in front of the other.
Step, step,
almost home.
I stop.
I am home,
the steps have stopped
and i can
rest.

2 comments:

Gail said...

HI JOEY-

Oh yes, I am so "in step" with the magnitude, importance, challenge of each step.

Love you man
Gail
peace.....

Woman in a Window said...

Joey, some days I have a youthful spirit and body and tackle it all at once, but some days my mind is confined somehow, and all I can manage is a whisper that says, go, go, just one step. I hear you. I understand, I believe. What is it that does this? Is it a limitation, or is it because, perhaps, we wish to reside in a different kind of cadence?

xo
erin