Monday, January 17, 2011

The use of experience

As i have struggled with the issues surrounding my mother and planning a trip down, i have been told consistently it is mostly her attitude.
Her quality of life is poor and i do not blame her for feeling this way, but gently i asked her how she would have felt if i had "given up".
Granted i am not her age, but it does look like i will be dealing with what has happen for the rest of my life.
I have gotten depressed, i understand deeply why.  I have spent many hours now working on the phone with many proffesionals and the situation does not look as bad as i thought, except...
there is the fairly consistent attitude that she wants to die.
She has used it for over 2 years now and not in a good way,
Now it is probably true and i am working on it the best i can.

4 comments:

Grant said...

I won't presume to know your mother's condition or frame of mind, but I am faced with the reality that my condition will degrade over time and at some point I'm going to prefer death to constant suffering. Hopefully she still has some happy times ahead of her.

Woman in a Window said...

I wonder about countless questions that spring from your mom's situation, Joey, but mostly I hope for peace for you and for her, whichever form that takes.

much love
xo
erin

Gail said...

Joey-
holding you and your Mom in prayer and good thoughts. Take extra good care of your self k?
Love you man
Gail
peace.....

Unknown said...

I saw this with my late grandfather and it was too painful to watch. I know it was his choice but It hurt so much to see.

I hope things work out.