Monday, January 2, 2012

The home cook advantage vs ethnic restaurants

So i escape the wonder of my recent cage
I am left to ponder
and remember

On my list of places to go was Fiesta in Stamford, a Peruvian restaurant.
In my life i am fortunate to have people who are from various countries share their food with me.
As i ate at Fiesta, fairly unimpressed, i thought about this.
The meal was not bad, but was not memorable, but the why is more important than the how.
I was immediately comparing it to  food prepared by a neighbor, for her Peruvian boyfriend and shared with me.
The home cook won hands down.
Thinking of a similar restaurant, but of Italian flavor, Rizzutos, did not have that disappointment, it was comparable to Italian home cooks i have know.  I went with some of those and they enjoyed it also.
I thought back at my disappointment of  EOS in Stamford, because i compared it to my mom's cooking (and my own)
I thought of my excitement at TAWA, because for the first time, Indian food tasted like a close friend of mine and her husband had shared with me.
I would not even talk about Mexican cuisine in Stamford - mostly, i will eat my own as will i eat my own Texas barbecue.
There are other ethnic restaurants i have been to, but have little to compare them to such as little Buddha and Kits kitchen and i often wonder if i would be disappointed if i knew a Thia home cook.

3 comments:

Ileana said...

Sounds like you've had some fine dining, my friend. Now I'm craving Indian food again. It's been YEARS!

Btw, did you ever taste the Peruvian stuffed plantains? To die for!

Lou said...

I get my ethnic foods from the travel channel-Anthony Bourdain, Andrew Zimmern, Adam Richman. I love the exotic and weird things they eat, although I have a much duller palate!

Glad you are feeling better.

Unknown said...

Scarlett - i have had a Puerto Rican cook some stuffed fried plaintains that i still salvate over when i think of them - i wonder if they were similar?
Lou - I love Anthoiny Bourdain and what he does!
But i get to taste these in my own neighborhood
Today i was given a Peruvian Empananda, which i loved (home cooked again)