Saturday, June 16, 2012

innocent

my mom and dad and me - at less than 1 year old.
The day started innocently enough,
with no thought of tomorrow
or of any significance thereof.
A neighbor asks me;
"well you know about how special tomorrow is, right?"
I draw a blank.
It does not dawn on me at all.
I ask him if it is his birthday
and he replies that it is father's day and all his sons and daughter - in - laws will be over - tomorrow.
I replied a hollow "oh."  I do not celebrate that any more.

Not that i still do not honor my other and father, daily.
Full knowing there foibles and difficulties.
They did the best they could
They loved me and i love them still.

Another close friend had a child when she was young, but left him when he started using drugs.
The child was not a mistake, the man was.
but of course. since it is "father's day"  The man wants to see his son and is giving her grief.
it is my understanding,
 through court records i have seen,
 that the man owes more than $10,000 in back child support.
And he wants to see his son, who he does not support, on father's day.

For some reason, i think not.

1 comment:

erin said...

these things are more complicated then they first appear, aren't they?

last year i was in a thrift store before christmas and i was so happy. i was looking at second hand books and there was a young girl straightening the shelves. i told her i was buzzing with excitement and asked of her holiday. she said she lost someone during the holidays and now every christmas carries the weight of this. i was very quiet, humbled. we should always carry a pocket full of humility beside our joy, i think.)))

xo
erin