Friday, August 24, 2012

a little liteness

As i struggled today with work,
mistakes evident only to me,
but only because no one else knows or cares...
I had some light hearted face book discussion
with a blogger and food blogger (foodie if you must).
No i will not go there,
my reviews here maybe on the positive and negative of how people handle things,'but rarely a real restaurant review.
Why?
I cook and form those who taste and eat my food (not just the captive audience in my house),
i do a darn good job.
I have a strange background - grew up in Texas with the smoked beef and Tex-Mex food galore,
but it was also the South, so i was very familiar with things like collards and even gumbo.
Some how this adventure of mine awakened a sleeping giant deep down.
I grill and BBQ with the best of them.
Because it was Houston, seafood was plenty,
but then there is more to my heritage because my mom was Greek - and i can put together a mean Baklava at the very least
and mt dad was country French, growing up in Alsace - which has a German flair to it.
I can cook these
and as i said, if you take the word or others first,
I cook well.So if i go to a restaurant, i will compare to what i can do
and most times i am disappointed
because the restaurant must cook a high volume and things do get lost.
And then there is the issue of working at a Health Department for 33 years -
i know way too much.
I know the mistakes that are made and served.And i am an analyst - i can taste them.
So there will be no food/restaurant blog coming here,
instead go to OmNomCT for really good food / restaurant reviews.

2 comments:

Carole said...

Hope things are going ok for you. Cheers

eastcoastlife said...

You have an interesting background. I am looking forward to tasting Greek food, I ate Greek pastries and cakes in Melbourne and fell in love with them. I have yet to find great Greek pastries in Singapore.

I do agree that it is not easy to find restaurants that offer food that is authentic or close to the original dish. Much have been lost due to restaurants cutting costs to maximise profits and cooks getting lazy.

It is awesome to be able to cook so many types of cuisine. I would love to taste your Ballava.