Monday, December 3, 2012

Getting ready

I have begun preparing myself for my retirement.
I have been taking days off per my doctors request.
Today is one of those days and when i go to work tomorrow,
It will be day 7 before i do not work at the Health Department any more.
The day is mild and sunny and beautiful.

In the days i have been taking off -
some have been very busy,
others not so.
I can already see an improvement in the vision issues that i have
and the balance is improving also.
This is what the doctor and i expected.

For today I am thankful,
we have the girls (2 labs, the daughters of our lab), who provide entertainment and distraction.
I have been hoping to go through more of my mom's things (mostly pictures),
but find it difficult emotionally,
there will be time.

In the mean time there are still roses on the rose bush


and i am cooking something different
Life is good.


Chili mild with beans
(a northern apostasy) 

1 bag small red beans
1 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon mild dried chili's
2 tablespoons cumin
1 teaspoon anchiote powder
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 stick of butter
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 or 2 beers

Rinse and soak the beans over night (water level should be 3 times the beans).
brown the ground beef with the butter and spices
pour into a slow cooker set on high (about 200 F)
heat the beans and all the liquid to boiling and pour into the slow cooker.
add syrup.
after 2 hours reduce the heat to medium or low (about 160 or 140 F)
add beer to keep the liquid level up.
Do not let dry out!

Serve with rice, chopped cilantro, chopped onions and or sour cream.

7 comments:

Gail said...

HI JOEY - the chile sounds yummy.
And about retiring? I took early retirement, was 2 years this past November. Most days I am SO relieved not to be working, most days.....you will adjust my friend, I swear.
Love you man
Gail
peace.....

Jenny Woolf said...

This is a really nice, calm and optimistic post. I can't believe how pretty that rose is - it doesn't look like a winter rose at all, but like a late spring one. Enjoy.

Ileana said...

Sounds bittersweet...you'll have more time to cook your favorite dishes and experiment with new ones, be with your girls and relax...but all things that come to a close can be a little sad. I think it's great you'll be able to do more of your own thing. Best of luck and health to you!!!

Granny Annie said...

I have a recipe for low carb three bean chili and it calls for kidney beans, black beans and cannellini beans. I did not have the cannellini beans so used great northern beans instead and Ron thought it tasted different. Good but different. You seem to know beans, do you know the difference?

Unknown said...

beans ... so many each with a bit different "thing" to bring to the flavor - Example the red beans i used here are often used in dessert items and take sweet well (This is a prelude to something i will do next year). The black beans have a stronger flavor and stand well against spicy and hot items. Cannelini bean or a bit almost "soft" in flavor (i like bacon with them). Kindey beans are very robut in flavor and also stand up against spicy things.

Michelle (Isabelle) said...

Very cool that you still have roses. Such a delicate and beautiful work of nature's art. Enjoy your cooking and just take the retirement transition one day at a time. God Bless!

Lori said...

I love roses. It sounds like you are anticipating a new chapter in your life. All positive, and with great chili! Nice to hear you doing well.