Monday, May 19, 2014

occasionally i remember to paint

For over 10 years i have been attempting to capture the feel of the place i call the daffodil farm.
This is my most recent photo:



While the photo is beautiful, painting it in the media i am familiar with (watercolor) has been a great challenge.
I have found not fewer than 20 different attempts in my water color pads.
For the first time, i decided to go small, a 5" x 7" pad and this is the result.


I recognize i have a distinct style - i like the entire page covered, i use a white colored paint often, sometimes i mix water color with acrylic and my brush strokes are unusual.  I take a large brush, wet it, put paint on it and smash it against the paper.  I let this dry and i take a damp brush with variations of the same color and do it again.  Finally i take a dry brush and do it one more time.
There is no detail only a suggestion of detail..
I think i have a bit more to do.

4 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Love the photograph and love even more your distinctive style in the painting.

Carlos B. Rich said...

Did you find working on the smaller canvas a plus? I love the colors in the photo. I can see why you find it inspiring.

Carlos B. Rich said...

Love the colors in the photo. I can see why you find it inspiring. Did you find using a smaller canvas better?

Unknown said...

with the larger paper, i would get lost and while some details were very good, the focal point (the daffodils) were totally lost.