Saturday, May 10, 2008

The system does not work part 2

So I get a frantic call from this person, because she is a friend, saying she has to get out of her apartment, that the landlord (who is her cousin) has no money to pay and she has to pay for the motel. Remember - the damage was maybe 3 sq ft large in the kitchen. I knew that there used to be policy concerning this and the city had some funds to provide for these situations. I go to the correct person and find out the city won't do fires any more, but the Red Cross has a Federal Grant to work with this. One night has past and my friend and 3 children are in the Stamford motel cause it is the cheapest motel around. I call the Red Cross, cause the people whose job it was, forgot to. They provide money for 3 nights at a much better place and food vouchers.
Meantime I go and ask
1) why the Red Cross wasn't called and
2)why the unit was condemned

The Red Cross was an over site because this was part of the cross training thing for inspectors and this was this persons first fire. (but it happens with other inspectors - save one)
The unit was condemned because of the smoke and THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT HAD TO COVER ITSELF, JUST IN CASE!
Ii AM GLAD THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT DOESN'T COME INTO MY KITCHEN WHEN I AM COOKING CAUSE I PRODUCE MORE SMOKE THAN WAS IN THIS APARTMENT.

To be continued...

No comments: