Friday, December 18, 2009

Today was a good day

i did not go in to work today, I went with David for his operation.
The operation, removing his appendix, which was stuck in a hernia, took 20 minutes.
It took longer to recover from the anesthesia, but he was home 5 hours after he went in.
He is doing well.
in the process, i discovered that with out the strain of work on my eyes, I was up doing things until 3 PM, that included some computer work, cooking and cleaning.
That says a lot.
For those of you who are ever interested in such things, John, who is my co-conspirator with this house and ever helpful with driving, tells me i make an awful alcoholic.
he should know, he is 33 years sober and still will not touch anything.
Why that story?
When I am down emotionally, I have zero desire to drink anything.
Why?
When i drink, it is to celebrate and to enjoy the taste, the alcohol is incidental.
Drinking to get drunk has never made sense to me.
So in this time of celebration, I may have a glass (or a half and leave the rest some where forgotten), but it will be in the spirit of celebration, which is what my life feels like it is turning into as of late.

5 comments:

Barry said...

Out of hospital in 5 hours after having your appendix removed? That is just amazing.

And I'm with you on the alcohol thing. I've never been a big drinker and could never understand the pleasure of drinking your self comatose.

Glad your doing so much better though!

Jeannette StG said...

I am glad you feel that way- to celebrate your life!
It was awfully nice to you to be there for David when he had surgery:)

Unknown said...

Glad the operation went well and he's doing fine.

I want to have a good time when drinking as well. I do want it to be incidental just like you say. the main function should be the conversing with friends.

Ileana said...

We often drink wine with dinner or as you do, to celebrate. I won't just drink for the sake of drinking, and I HATE drunkennes and hangovers, so 2-3 small servings is my limit.

I'm glad all went well with David. I hope you find many more good reasons to celebrate! Cheers! :)

Lori said...

I am sure your friend appreciated the support. I agree with you. I had one glass of wine the other night, because I like the taste of certain wines. Not to get drunk. Certain alcohol enhances food, they complement each other. Glad to hear your spirits are rising daily it seems.