Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A path

I once thought life was a rollar coaster,
with its ups and downs.
I am no longer sure,
for it feels more like a simple path,
where we put one foot in front of the other.
It is not a tight rope walk,
with dangerous falls on either side,
Yet, there are sides, not always clearly marked.
One part like a swamp murkey and full of bitterness.
Sloshing through that muck is never easy
and it clings to your heart like mud to the skin.
The other side seems lighter and more aloof,
walking as if we were better than any one else.
The truth is that we are not
and each person should walk with each other.
Each side of that path is folly, but the lines are not clear,
no clear demarcations of black and white.
We wander in between those lines with every move we make.
For reason not known to me,
thankfulness seems to be the key.

5 comments:

Lori said...

I agree. I prefer not to slosh through the muck these days. I am a one foot in front of the other type of girl. Any gains I make doing so, I am thankful for.

Woman in a Window said...

Perfect, perfect resolution! We do need to mark that thankfulness daily, don't we? That is when life is grand.

Have a wonderful day!
xo
erin

Gail said...

Hi Joey

Lovely and profound sentiments about 'life'. thanks.

Love you
Gail
peace.....

Barry said...

This is an inspired poem Joey. I see the world in exactly the same way. And I like the quote from the Dalai Lama on your side panel.

Lou said...

Yes! I feel this way also!