Saturday, June 12, 2010

An old friend

I met an old friend the other day.
The friend was visiting someone else
and they were shaking and barely able to speak.
The friend had changed their life in an instant,
but it was not a good change,
for the friend was fear,
fear of death,
fear of the unknown.
i met him once and did not like what it did to me.
Neither did my friends,
who tried to comfort me in difficult times.
i could not hear because, my old friend was shouting so loud.
Then i met death,
and for all that fear told me, he was not so scary,
as a matter of fact, he was beautiful
and i told fear to go away
and he did.

7 comments:

Gail said...

HI

Excellent! BRAVO!!!

Love you man
Gail
peace.....

ExtraO said...

Thank goodness for that.

betchai said...

i am glad for you fear went away...hope you have a good weekend.

Tes said...

Beautifully written Joey! I have met the same friend. Like your friends, this friend made me feel the same way as them. I have driven this friend away and resolved never to entertain it again. I agree, death holds a strange enchantment...

Ileana said...

Fearing the unknown...that's a biggie, but you've conquered it! Very good, my friend!!

Lori said...

Joey that was wonderful. Once the fear is gone, the peace comes, and that my friend is when we truly live. Stay well....

Lori said...

BTW, as you know I have been on a semi sabbatical. A personal quest. Fear is something that I refuse to deal with. Cutting that loose has made a huge difference. I actually came back to re-read this piece again this morning for a little inspiration. Thank you Joey, be well...