Sunday, July 4, 2010

clearing

The sun beat down unmercifully,
driving most people,
with any semblance of sanity,
indoors,
but not me.
The garden beckoned me.
Calling my name,
"finish now what you began", it demanded.
And so into the triangle, where i had begun to thin out,
the one where the green monster had lived,
I moved.
i moved carefully
because what once was difficult,
was nigh unto impossible.
Keeping my balance that it.
So i moved,
without grace,
trimming,
clearing weeds
and making tame what once was an untamed wilderness.
sweat poured off my heated brow,
that i did not mind,
but it fell onto my glasses,
distorted still more,
my distorted vision,
The plants that were left thanked me as i left.
Was it for leaving or for giving them room to breath?
I do not know for now i went inside to escape the sun's wrath.

4 comments:

Gail said...

HI JOEY-

Oh my, how brave of you to garden in this extreme heat. Such endeavors are not an option for me - heat and humidity are my enemies - high risk.

I did prepare my home made sauce and meatballs while in the A/C - my son was home and he picked up my Mom. SHe loves my sauce. And it ha been a while since she has been here given her heath challenges. She lasted a few hours - and then gave in to her exhaustion - I loved her being here SO much - I watched her leave - so slowly. My Sis picked her up - I had a moment of fear - I cleared my thought. It was too painful.

Love you man
Gail
peace and hope.....

Al said...

Joey, apply sunblock lotion in case you'll go out and do gardening. I know how it is there at present, drink lots of fluids.

BTW, I like your header. Did you paint it?

Unknown said...

had a problem with the dash board and it would not let me post it.
Several comments did not get posted.
To answer, i tend not to use sunblock, but very gradually build up a natural (Greek ased0 tan. I drink copious amounts of water and naturally sweat profusely, ll of which allows me to enjoy the summer time immensely. My time in the garden is limited to 10-15 minutes at a time so my sun exposure is very gradual. Growing up in Houston. Texas subjected me to heat far worse than what we have here!

Unknown said...

AL said:
Joey, apply sunblock lotion in case you'll go out and do gardening. I know how it is there at present, drink lots of fluids.

BTW, I like your header. Did you paint it?

My response: This is one of the "new" paintings, this year, with all the eye and head problems. It was of a site i had wanted to paint a number of years ago (before the operation and when i had "painters block") and just could not make it work!