Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Winter Finally Arrives

It was god awful cold
(what God has to do with awful, I do not know),

I wake up chilled,

It is hard to shake it off,

so I prepare a soup…
hearty, full of flavor
from frozen Thanksgiving’s turkey carcass
and frozen chicken stock
and frozen turkey stock.
The pot begins to boil and I turn it to a simmer.
It will keep until I return.

Tap, tap, tap goes my cane on the sidewalk.
There is no breeze,
so my many layers keeps me warm.
I hollow creak on boards (from the bridge we will not say)
And an echoing tap, tap, tap of my cane on the strong planks.



Yesterday, nothing to do with winter,
A drill and a grind of a dentist in my mouth,
brought back unremembered terror
from an operation so long ago.
It was remembered deep in my soul,
The drill and the crack of bone,
And the dentist saw I was struggling
and asked continually if I was okay.
I was, I would reply
And I was, really
For I knew it was but a remembrance of a terror long ago,
so it seems,
Tho the aftermath I still feel.



I feel the cold today,
but it is January and we have been fortunate.
The frost of Christmas (?),
That should have been on Halloween (wait, there was snow then).
I remain confused about what has transpired with the weather,
But it has been mild,
And I still had oregano from my garden
and chives
and cabbage leaves
but no more
for this is the first day of true cold

and winter has finally arrived

6 comments:

Granny Annie said...

It is a most unusual winter for us. Here we are into January and still warm with flies coming in the house when a door is left open.

Annie Coe said...

Hi Joey,
It is very cold here too, but this week it is warmer and for that we are grateful.
I just came by to wish you a very happy New Year!
xoxo

Ileana said...

Winter has arrived in Miami as well...with temps dipping into the 40s this past week! The wind made it feel like we were back in the northeast, but it was refreshing and I LOVE being able to wear my fuzzy boots again!

Btw, soup sounds perfect for a day like today. You've inspired me.

Lou said...

And in Michigan we had unseasonably mild 50 degrees this week end.

Lori said...

I can appreciate the beauty of winter but I am not a fan of any type of cold weather. I prefer fall when it is brisk but not frigid. Two days ago it was 52 degrees out. Stay warm and cozy!

Shionge said...

Let me send some warmth hug over here from Sunny Singapore.

Your hot broth makes me so hungry and I am sorry you still felt the 'terror' of yester-years....so here's some good cheers and vibes from me to you :D